The Australian Anglo-Indian Association of Canberra (inc.)
Proudly presents: The Grand “Australian Anglo-Indian Ball” Saturday, 12 September 2009 At the Royal Ballroom, National Convention Centre, Constitution Avenue, Canberra City Dance the Night away to the music of “OOMPH” This fabulous Anglo-Indian band from Melbourne will provide us with some entertaining and enjoyable music. Their music consists of the rhythms from the late 50s to the current times. Also, brought back by popular demand, Australia’s stylish and tasteful Anglo-Indian jazz singer from Sydney -Larry Stellar, AM (AM for his singing) will entertain us with some memorable classics.
Time: 6 pm to 11.30 pm – Dress Code: formal or national
Drinks: licensed cash bar – Dinner: Indian influence banquet
Tickets: $50/- member and $55/- non member, includes dinner – children under 12 years $20/- (round tables of 10)
Chief Guest: Jon Stanhope, MLA, Chief Minister of the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
Mr Zed Seselja MLA, Leader of the Opposition ACT Legislative Assembly, Mr John Hargreaves, Minister for Multicultural Affairs (ACT); Senator Gary Humphries (ACT), Her Excellency Sujatha Singh High Commissioner of India, Lt. General (Retd) Laurie O’Donnell Chairman Immigration Bridge Australia (IBA), Andrew Baulch Campaign Director (IBA), local politicians Territory & Federal, and others,
Dinner Menu: Prepared by Canberra’s finest chefs attached to the National Convention Centre
- Crispy potatoes topped with spiced yoghurt
- Corn kernels mixed with dice of onion and tomatoes finished with tamarind sauce
- Boiled chick peas tossed with fresh garden vegetables dressed with a mint and coriander vinaigrette
- Tandoori Potato Salad – marinated with homemade tandoori paste finished in oven served on a bed of rocket
- Pappadums and fresh naan bread
- Steamed rice with cumin seeds and green peas
- Chicken Chetinaad – a perfect South Indian Chicken cooked with mustard seeds, curry leaves and spices
- Lamb Rogan Josh – Tender lamb cooked with Kashmir spices
- Vegetable Makhanwala – A delicacy of mixed vegetables cooked in tomatoes and butter sauce finished with dairy fresh cream
- Chef’s selection of cakes and slices.
- Freshly brewed coffee and tea.
Floriade — For our interstate guests, visit Australia’s No 1 flower festival “Floriade” in the Nation’s Capital – commences on 12th September 2009 and runs for a month to 11th Oct 2009. Every year it is different. Entry is free
Accommodation – book your own. Also, there is accommodation to your requirement) Capital Executive Apartments 108 Northbourne Ave. Phone (02) 6243 8333 (5 minutes driving time to the Convention Centre
From $135 for a couple or $150/- for three or a general room for four $149/-. However, this is only suitable for parents with two children or 4 males or 4 females. (People from Perth have booked in at the Capital Executive Apartments)
The Crown Plaza, Binara St, Canberra City. Within the National Convention Centre Complex – walk, one minute to the Convention Centre. Rooms from $175/- a couple. Phone (02) 6247 8999. General reservations ring 138388.
The Waldorf Apartments, Akuna St, Canberra City. Three minutes walk to the National Convention Centre – Apartments from $365 for 3 couples. . For reservations ring 02 62291234
Tickets with: Joe Bailey 02 62414464 Nicholls, Denzil Ray 02 62961925 Kambah, Tony Marcelline 02 62926369 Chisholm, John Macdonald 02 62414253 Kaleen, Mike Stracey 02 62588756 Fraser, David Williams 61611934 Watson Dillon Castelino 02 62623826 Kaleen, Peter Bailey 02 62413004 Giralang
President: Joe Bailey; Secretary: Denzil Ray; Treasurer: Dillon Castelino